Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Trash to Treasure for your holiday decor!

As most of you know, we are a military family. Being a military family means many moves, many furniture dents and sometimes even lost pieces of items and you often wonder where things went... inevitable. Really.
We had a cheap 3 legged decorator table. You know, the $10 side table for your bed? Well... the legs disappeared. So we had a $10 table top ;).
Throw it away? We could have or....
I could spray paint ;). If you know me well, you know I love to spray paint. This time: Chalkboard paint. I primed the top with two coats of primer and then sprayed about 3 coats of chalkboard paint. I let it set for approximately 2 days and then "primed" it with chalk. After you spray anything with chalkboard paint you should rub the entire surface with chalk to "prime" it. Then wash it completely.
I leave message on this board for our kids all the time. It sits on the sideboard in our living room. If you really want the chalk on there for a while with out smugging, use chalk pens. They are work every dime.
For Christmas, I used my cricut cutter and cut an "X" out of a cereal box, covered it with glue, and then used glitter to cover it. Then, I used the chalkboard pen to leave a message.

No comments: